At White Labs, Inc., we are dedicated to being the best yeast company in the world, from cell to sip. Our employees share a passion for innovation, education and collaboration, which is strongly encouraged and upheld throughout day-to-day operations. We have approximately 150 employees and offices in San Diego, CA; Asheville, NC; Copenhagen, Denmark and distribution from Hong Kong, China to Southeast Asia, New Zealand and Australia.
White Labs, Inc. offers comprehensive benefits, including health insurance (medical, dental, vision), long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off, paid holidays, milestone rewards, tuition fees reimbursement, and a variety of supplementary benefits (EAP, wellness incentives, financial fitness, discount tickets program, merchandise and festival discounts) through our partner vendors, training and professional development, company events and team-building activities. Telecommuting program (hybrid work arrangement) eligibility is available for select positions.
The estimated pay range for the position is as listed ($19.75 - $23.00 per hour). Should the level of the role change during the hiring process, the applicable pay range may be updated accordingly. Compensation decision will be determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to, the individual’s qualifications, location where the role is to be performed, internal equity and market data.
Reporting to the Brewing Operations Manager, the Lead Brewer is responsible for producing wort for yeast propagation in addition to brewing beer for sale and consumption in the White Labs Tasting Room and White Labs Kitchen & Tap.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Operates all brewing equipment to produce wort that meets specifications for yeast propagation.
- Communicates daily tasks or assigned projects to appropriate team members. Tracks/monitors progress and ensures work completion.
- Ensures quality of wort throughout process by following all established SOPs and documenting deviations.
- Completes all necessary process documentation accurately and on time. Ensures maintenance of records and ensures compliance to work instructions and SOPs. Clarifies instructions and provides support to team members on procedures and policies.
- Performs routine CIP and maintenance on process piping and equipment to deliver sterile wort to yeast propagation systems. Performs CIP on all brewing equipment/fermenters.
- Responsible for full-cycle brewing process and operation of brewing equipment for beer production, which includes, but not limited to, milling, mashing, and lautering, wort boiling, cooling and transferring to fermenters and cellarman work.
- Monitors wort process specifications and beer fermentation, notifying management of any concerns or deviations.
- Packaging of finished beer into kegs or cans, for sale in Tasting Room.
- Actively monitors all beer material inventory, including bi-weekly cycle counts and ensures proper consumption across brewing team.
- Responsible for daily cleaning and maintenance of brewery area.
- Adheres to all safety rules and regulations and notifies management and/or human resources of any safety concerns or issues.
- Facilitates removal of obstacles to completion of work, including interfacing with facilities/maintenance to ensure maximum equipment up time.
- Attends daily coordination and weekly beer availability meetings.
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities? No
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience working in a brewery, preferably in a brewing/production capacity.
- Formal brewing education is a plus.
- Forklift certification a plus.
- Excellent time management and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Works well independently and cooperatively with others.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate production needs including weekends and afternoon/evening shifts.
Requires walking, standing, and/or driving for more than 90% of the workday. Moves objects in excess of 100 pounds with frequent bending, kneeling and lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing 50 pounds or more. Moving objects in excess of 50 pounds should be performed with another team member. Certain items may be moved independently while utilizing a pallet jack, such as a pallet or double-stacked pallet of full kegs.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $19.75 - $23.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- San Diego, CA 92126: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- What is your pay requirement (U.S. Dollar Amount) per hour?
- Brewing: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
White Labs, Inc.
ADVANCING FERMENTATION. CULTIVATING COMMUNITY.