Head Brewer - Part-Time
Job Title: Head Brewer
Compensation Type: Hourly, Non-exempt
Employment Status: Part-Time
Direct Report: Founding Brewmaster
The Head Brewer is responsible for creating quality focused beers and representing the brand throughout our local communities at Three Notch’d Brewing Virginia Beach Craft Kitchen and Brewery. This role manages all aspects of the brewing process at the location including research and development, innovation strategy, brewing, fermentation, packaging, cleaning, quality control and maintenance. The Head Brewer is expected to be punctual, self-motivated, creative and have a strong connection with their local community. The position is part-time with a maximum of 24 hours per week.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
• PRODUCTION AND BREWING
o Responsible for the overall brewing process including but not limited to milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, wort cooling, yeast handling, fermentation management and packaging.
o Formulate and schedule all brews.
o Brew an average of 1 brew per week and release an average of 1 beer per week with consideration to innovation and variety.
o Accurately record all aspects of the brew to track production operations and inventory.
o Constant communication with Brewmaster to ensure our beer meets internal quality standards.
o Clean taplines and faucets monthly.
o Following all safety procedures in accordance with company guidelines.
o Participate in weekly “First Tap” events on Thursday nights from 6-8pm, including introducing the new beer on the mic and socializing with guests.
o Development of innovation for local taprooms that raises the level of quality and brand clout in the community.
o Development of beers or seltzers within guidelines provided by Brewmaster.
o Collaborate with the sales, marketing and brewing teams across the company to ideate and provide innovation concepts and testing for distribution consideration.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
• General knowledge of practices, methods, tools, and equipment used in production and pub-style brewing
• General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work
• Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment related to work
• Minimum of three years of brewing experience as assistant brewer or brewer
• Willingness to engage with the local community to create collaborations
• Strong communicator and well-organized
• Must be 21-years of age
• Flexible availability
• 5 years relevant experience in the brewing industry
• Professional brewing certificate
• Bachelor of Science degree in technically related field
• Production Area
• Ability to work in extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature changes.
• Industrial noises.
• Occasional exposure to wet conditions.
• Stainless steel fermenters.
• Malt Silo, Grist Mill, Grist Hopper, Hot Liquor Tank, Mashtun, Kettle, various centrifugal pumps.
• Pallet jacks, manual and electric.
Little or no travel (<10%)
Ability to frequently lift objects weighing up to 55 pounds and occasionally lift up to 150 pounds.
Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of product. AND/OR Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
Three Notch’d Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Three Notch'd Brewing Company
Leave Your Mark