Brewery Production Team Member
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand brewing and cellaring processes, along with Clean-In-Place (CIP), sanitation and sterilization techniques.
- Produce quality wort according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) by hitting target gravities, IBUs, colors, and volumes, as well as other metrics.
- Perform daily job duties, including, but not limited to CIP, milling, operating brew house, wort transfer, yeast pitching, fermentation monitoring, general cleaning and beer tasting.
- Accurately follow SOPs and understand specific beer process terminologies.
- Monitor individual batches and fermentation of individual tanks of beer, record batch performance, and raw material quality and performance.
- Communicate all pertinent batch related information.
- Follow all safety procedures and adhere to all company policies and procedures, including the safe operation of equipment and helping to maintain a safe, clean work environment that includes general housekeeping and warehouse duties.
- Comfortably work with chemicals of varying composition and maintain adherence to safety standards at all times during routine cleaning of brewing equipment.
- Effectively communicate in a cross-function, cross-departmental team environment,
- Develop and review quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods.
- Represent Company at various events, festivals and promotions. Promote good public relations and handle complaints and concerns.
- Submit purchase requests as necessary.
- Use EKOS, Google Docs, Production Checklist, and other tools to log batch data, organize and plan production.
- Operate forklifts and other operating equipment, as trained and directed.
- Ensure compliance standards are consistently met or exceeded.
- Keep abreast of policies and procedures and current developments in local, state, and federal laws applicable to the service of alcohol, safe food handling, and health standards, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist with monitoring quality and temperature of fermenting beers on a daily basis.
- Unload and organize grain shipments.
- Brew Day assistance, CIP, and clean-up.
- Train in wort production and brewing procedures.
- Assist with the transfer of beer from fermenters, as soon as ready, to other vessels.
- Assist with monitoring quality, flavor and carbonation of serving beers in the Tasting Room(s), Packaging, and throughout the brewing process.
- Utilize brewery personnel, lab, and beer tasting panels to check for quality, off flavors, cell counts, O2 levels, etc. Keep an improvement log on all issues as they develop.
- Work with Production Team Members and lab to monitor and propagate yeast as needed.
- Assist with the packaging of all beer whenever it is ready.
- Assist with racking beer from fermenters to any other vessels and related paperwork.
- Assist with labeling all packaged beer in accordance with federal and state law using appropriate keg collars, dates, batch codes, etc.
- Assist with monitoring carbonation levels in tanks and test for volumes of Co2.
- Assist with general routine cleaning of kegs, brewhouse, tanks, walls, floors, drains, fermenters, kettle, HLT, mash tun, keg washer, etc. per Company procedures.
- Be responsible for maintaining all required paperwork and records including, but not limited to brew logs, inventory sheets, packaging records, recipe sheets, etc.
- Keep abreast of orders, inventory, and availability.
- Monitor and maintain inventory of brewing and safety supplies for daily operations.
- You may be requested to perform additional duties as required by the Company at their discretion.
- Work under the guidance of the Production Manager to prepare tanks for production, transfer, and packaging in accordance to schedule.
- Utilize Ekos and the Production Checklist and update on a daily basis, track brew logs, manage inventory, submit purchase requests, etc.
- Clean tanks utilizing the CIP process.
- Transfer and carbonate beer.
- Process beers in accordance with the brew schedule.
- Perform daily gravity checks on all fermenting beer.
- Harvest yeast and follow proper yeast storage protocols.
- Crash and dry hop beers. as needed.
- Package beer as directed by the Production Manager.
- Adhere to all Company Quality Assurance standard practices and protocols.
Cold Storage Organization
- Make recommendations to the Facilities Manager for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the facility and all equipment.
- Replenish Tasting Room and local rack, reorganize and consolidate kegs, as needed.
- Organize distribution shipments in accordance with weekly pick-up and delivery schedules.
- Assist in bottle and canning runs.
General Maintenance and Cleaning
- Troubleshoot and report all equipment problems, violations or substandard practices to the Facilities Manager immediately.
- Restock raw materials and products as needed.
- General brewery cleanliness and upkeep
- Monitor overall cleanliness of vessels, including brew deck, heat exchangers, and packaging machinery.
- Monitor valves, hardware, and gaskets on all vessels, flag if damaged.
- Change valve gaskets, tighten screws, etc. as needed.
- Perform weekly, monthly, and quarterly maintenance in accordance with the maintenance checklist.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Accountability: The individual meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely manner.
- Adaptability: The individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability: The individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Planning/Organization: The individual priorities and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Problem Solving: The individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Quality Control: The individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality, and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and Security: The individual observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
- A formal brewing education from an accredited brewing program, college degree in a related technical field (Science or Engineering), and at least three years of experience in a Commercial Production Brewery; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule: days, nights and/or weekends.
- Forklift Certified required. (Certification available through the Company)
- Must have own vehicle, valid Driver's License, current insurance coverage and clean driving record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong communication, both written and oral, and administration skills to interact with customers, vendors, and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Ability to take directions from the Production Manager.
- Self-motivated, possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast paced work environment.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling techniques.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment, and have leadership and planning skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Equipment, Machines, and Software Used
This position requires the regular use of a computer, printer, copier, telephone, scanner, calculator, keg washer, forklift, centrifugal pumps, electrical heating equipment, digital and analog scales, grain mill, hydrometer, refractometer, various brewing and lab equipment that is subject to change over time and handling pressurized gases.
Computer Software and Applications
Ekos Brewery Management Software, Google Workspace, Slack, Microsoft Office to include Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Ability to stand for several hours without a break, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
- Ability to occasionally exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of product.
- Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
- While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions, extreme heat, potential for physical injury, exposure to hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals, and moving machinery.
- This position requires regular attendance at the workplace and frequent face-to-face contact with other employees, distributors, and the public.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Hidden Springs Ale Works