Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing have come together to form one of the top 15 largest breweries in the United States, building on the strong legacies of our celebrated heritages. We brew badass beers on both coasts at our breweries in Escondido, CA and Richmond, VA, and create amazing experiences at our Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens and Taproom locations. We’ve enjoyed a rich history following our passion and are in search of people who are equally passionate about pursuing their craft to join the team.
The QA Analyst will support the execution of and actively contribute to the improvement of Stone’s Quality System through analytical laboratory work. This role will perform all basic and technical standardized testing and preventative maintenance on lab equipment; spearhead the development and standardization of new methodologies; analyze data and present findings to Operations Department Managers; and make an impact interdepartmentally.
This role may operate on our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift
1st Shift Hours: Monday - Friday, 6:00am - 2:30pm ET
2nd Shift Hours: Monday - Friday, 3:00pm - 11:30PM ET
3rd Shift Hours: Monday - Thursday, 10:00pm - 8:30am ET
*Please note that due to our company's ongoing growth this year, current shift structures and schedules are subject to change.
- Collect samples for analysis including samples for physchem, sensory, and micro
- Perform standardized physchem testing on in-process and finished beer including but not limited to: ABV, IBU, color, turbidity, pH, forced fermentations, water analysis, vicinal diketone, and acetaldehyde analysis
- Perform standardized physical testing on packaged beer including but not limited to: total packaged oxygen, carbonation, fill levels, seam checks, and crimp checks
- Assist with sensory assessment by performing True to Target, Descriptive, and Hedonic taste panels using DraughtLab, pulling samples for the sensory library, and shipping samples to other locations as needed
- Empowered to hold and release beer based on established QA specifications
- Ensure lab equipment is running properly by testing control beer and troubleshooting equipment as needed
- Perform advanced preventative maintenance and calibrations on equipment such as the Anton Paar, Hach 6110, pH meters, balances, gas chromatograph, high-performance liquid chromatograph, thermocyclers, etc.
- Have a deep understanding of the meaning of analytical data
- Accurately and effectively analyze and report data including updating databases in a timely manner, trending data, and presenting to management on a regular basis
- Work cross functionally to help determine root cause and drive improvement actions when quality events occur
- Lead 5-why root cause analysis in response to KPI triggers
- Develop and standardize new analytical testing equipment and methods
- Run and modify methods on the GC and HPLC for VDK and other analytes
- Assist in the training of brewery personnel on analytical equipment
- Cross train to cover microbiological methods and yeast propagation procedures.
- Prepare stock solutions, media, and other reagents needed for lab operation
- Maintain a professional and clean lab by storing and organizing lab supplies appropriately, keeping up with washing labware, wiping down the counter tops on a daily basis, etc.
- Assist in tracking lab supply inventory and putting in orders as needed
- Work safely within the brewery and lab at all times.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in STEM or related field.
- Experience: At least 4 years of related experience working in a laboratory. Must have experience utilizing and developing analytical testing methods. Must have experience showing an understanding of the theory behind how the equipment and tests work/measure analytes. Must have experience analyzing data and presenting results to all levels. Brewery or food/beverage manufacturing experience a plus.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Brewing science, TTB Chemist, or ASQ certifications a plus.
- Language Skills: Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and written.
- Travel Requirements: occasional travel required to other Stone locations
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Pay Range: $27.00/hr. - $29.00/hr.
- Additional Pay: 2nd shift and 3rd shift are eligible for shift bonus pay
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, 401K, and Bonuses for Eligible Team Members
- Company beer perks program and discounts
- Paid Time Off - including Vacation accrual, Sick Leave, and 12 paid Holidays
- Benefit programs supporting Financial Wellness, Health & Wellness and Career Development
Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, various ability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing seeks to build a culturally diverse staff where differences are valued and respected. Women, minorities, individuals with various abilities, veterans, LGBTQ+ and intersectional individuals are encouraged to apply.
The official leaders in the beer revolution