Market Manager- Upstate New York
Preferred locations include Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo areas.
The Market Manager will serve as a primary point of contact at the local level for our Distributors and Key Retailers in critical strategic states. Responsible for distributor alignment, portfolio prioritization, pricing strategy and retail execution across Mahou and distributor teams. The individual will coach and develop assigned Market Managers and Brand Development Managers to achieve aligned annual business plans with distributor partners. Develops annual plans with the input of the GM, aimed at driving attainment of Mahou USA annual and regional business objectives. Responsible for the communication, implementation and execution at wholesale and retail levels for agreed upon programs to achieve sales, revenue, distribution, promotional and merchandising objectives for Mahou USA brand portfolio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following but not limited to:
• Responsible for wholesaler management, including Annual Planning, Monthly/Quarterly business reviews and other distributor functions (programming, pricing, inventory, etc) supported by General Manager
• Develops local market plans drives support of Mahou USA objectives with distributor management and sales team to ensure objectives are achieved.
• Provides direction and support to assigned distributors, managing retail execution plans, and activities for assigned markets.
• Leads inventory management to include orders, forecasts, allocations and monthly wholesaler warehouse audits to ensure wholesalers maintain adequate product inventory levels and rotation.
• Conduct Monthly and Quarterly reviews against the Annual Business Plan. May include: distribution progress, YTD sales volume, pricing benchmarks and price surveys, execution opportunities, competitive activity, top retailer and chain volume trends and co-op budget spending. Corrective action plans formulated if necessary.
• Responsible for ensuring execution of chain programming and distribution at retailer and wholesaler level.
• Manage distributor bill back process to ensure alignment with Company policies and that invoices are being processed on a monthly basis for distributor partners
• Performs assigned administrative tasks such as expense reports, monthly work calendar, establishing distribution targets, evaluating discount programs, conducting price surveys.
Manage /Coach/ Develop Region Personnel
• Establishes a team environment based on communication, results, cooperation, and continuous improvement
• Leads, coaches, and develops Mahou USA selling process with direct reports
• Assigns Mahou USA business objectives to direct reports to include distribution and volume to achieve annual assigned goals and manages performance to ensure targets are achieved.
• Completes assigned “work withs” with direct reports and wholesaler partners on a regular basis
• Responsible for the selection, onboarding, training and development of new and existing Market Managers and Business Development Managers
• Coach, Evaluate, and Execute Mahou USA retail priorities through distribution, shelf set, and merchandising as directed from General Managers and VP’s
• Develop annual distribution targets by brand/sku’s for all wholesalers to be submitted to General Manager
• Create account target list by wholesaler for priority brands/sku’s to improve distribution and generate new business for Mahou USA
• Leverage CRM tools (Karma, CCM, Dashboards, etc) to ensure flawless execution at retail by MMs and BDMs in assigned territory
• Monitor and submit distribution progress reports as assigned by General Manager
• Identify and develop retail and pricing programs for underperforming packages
• Manage and direct the local sampling plan of Mahou USA portfolio through interaction with consumers and retailers at local retail samplings, retail work- withs, special events, trade shows, etc.
• Properly manage regional POS budget to ensure effective use of merchandising tools at retail to drive proper awareness for Mahou USA brands and achieve distribution and display objectives
• Responsible for executing Mahou USA price strategies by brand/sku to ensure that shelf pricing is on brand strategy while maximizing Company’s margin/profit.
• Responsible for understanding current brewery margins by brand pack and build annual objectives to improve margin profitability and mix
• Maintain accurate records of current pricing for Mahou USA sku’s versus competition across all distributor and retailer in assigned territory.
• Regularly conduct retail price surveys by Distributor, specified chain and/or channel of trade to ensure Mahou USA package is priced properly versus defined competitive set.
• Work with management & Pricing and Revenue Manager to initiate corrective action to improve Mahou USA pricing in all on and off premise accounts.
• Conduct sales execution presentations with regular frequency to assigned Distributor sales team as outlined in direction and in accordance with specifics driven down by General Manager and VP.
• Conduct regular planning meetings with assigned Distributor sales management team in accordance with direction and specifics of Company sales objectives driven down by General Manager and VP.
• Communicate clearly internally, both in written and verbal formats, to all key cross functional teams starting with the National and Regional Chain Account Managers, also including Marketing and Brewery Operations teams.
• Disciplined focus on providing written recaps of all meetings, retail days, progress against objectives, co-op budget balances, and any other business or execution opportunities in the market.
• Responsibly manage annual co-op budgets with Distributors in compliance with all Mahou USA policies and procedures.
• Responsibly manage annual travel and expense budget in compliance with Mahou USA Travel and Expense Policy Guidelines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university; three years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Three years’ minimum experience working in the three-tier distribution system either with a beer wholesaler or beer supplier.
• Live in the market for which the Market Manager is responsible.
• Initiate interaction with consumers and retailers that may have a quality control issue.
• Desire to build knowledge and skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; good listening skills; and strong group presentation skills.
• Understanding of, and ability to perform, basic trade math as a part of doing business in a “fact-based” selling culture.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work; attention to details; effective time management; set goals and objectives.
• Follow instructions; respond appropriately to management direction; self-starter.
• Take independent actions and calculated risks.
• Display creativity and original thinking.
• Team player that is passionate about selling beer.
• Highly self-motivated and ability to work both traditional business hours as well as non-traditional business hours including, at times, nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
• Must be available for overnight travel for crew drives, meetings, training and occasional weekend events or Distributor and Retailer entertainment.
• Must have solid computer knowledge and skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, as well as specific applications such as VIP, Armadillo, and Apple apps designed for DGY business purposes.
• Must be able to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 35 pounds.
• May be asked to perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested, directed, or assigned by General Manager or VP.
• Valid driver’s license required with excellent driving record.
Beer First. The Rest Will Follow.