Purpose: The Avery Brewing Manager oversees a team of 4-5 people who own safety and beer quality from grain to finished wort for the productions of world class beer while maintaining an extremely high standard of quality.
• Stop the job for safety. Escalate departmental safety concerns and safeguard employee’s integrity.
• Oversee Brewhouse operations and ensure that production numbers, efficiency and downtime causes are reported daily.
• Assist in scheduling and forecasting labor requirements while optimizing labor efficiency.
• Hold Brewing staff accountable to safety standards, quality standards, cleaning expectations, GMP requirements, and following SOPs.
• Is the ultimate responsible for the safeguarding of Brewhouse property, product and processes, including appropriate and complete training and documentation.
• Is responsible for the continued development of the team (including self) and of the formal performance reviews for Brewhouse staff.
• Assist in ordering parts and tools for Brewhouse equipment, assist in maintaining PCM parts inventory.
• Work directly with Process Development Team to ensure quality and integrity of products.
• Ensure that all Brewhouse areas are kept clean, orderly, and meets Avery Brewing Co. standards.
• Communicate daily and effectively with team, superiors, and co-workers via shift reports and face-to-face interactions.
• Represent Brewhouse department in weekly Production Scheduling and Manager meetings, escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the team.
• Reacts tactically to changing demands or conditions of production as they are happening.
• Drive lean manufacturing practice improvements, Focused Improvement, World-Class Manufacturing principles, and waste elimination.
• Lead and drive process alignment with our partner brewery’s.
• Regular attendance in sensory education and panel.
• Select hops, grain, and adjunct ingredients to reduce brand deviations from year to year.
• Manages the inventory, contracts and forecasting of all brewing raw materials.
• Coordinates the daily shipping of needed raw materials from the suppliers and warehouse to the brewery.
• Coordinates the filling of bulk grain silos, and removal of spent grain.
• Schedules department to fulfill needs of wort production first and then coordinates with other departments to fill gaps in production.
• Critically evaluates fermenting, aging and finished product regularly to continually improve each brand.
• Professionally represents Avery at industry related events; some travel is required.
• Previous people management experience (5+ years)
• Prior experience with CIP, COP, Wort quality and other relevant Brewhouse quality control instruments and automated Brewhouse lines
• Ability to motivate others to accomplish company and production goals.
• Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly for the duration of a shift.
• Ability to recognize visual audible cues signaling machinery performance issues in a fast-paced environment and communicate them immediately.
• Ability to communicate and collaborate with Brewhouse crew as well as other department managers and engineers.
• A firm understanding of the brewing process preferred.
• Expert knowledge of food and/or beverage Brewhouse processes and equipment
• Extreme attention to detail and overall cleanliness
• Willing attitude and team mentality
• Experience with OrchestratedBEER or SAP business platform is a plus.
• Excellent rapport with vendor relations
Salary/exempt position. Salary range: $68,000 to $80,000.
Includes competitive pay, health, dental, vision, life and supplemental insurance options, 3% match on 401(k) contributions, generous paid vacation policy and paid company holidays.
Beer First. The Rest Will Follow.