PT Banquet Captain
Surly's Event Space hosts a variety of events: from weddings to corporate events to celebrations of life. Surly strives to provide an excellent experience for our clients and their guests. Surly’s Banquet captain is highly motivated, extremely organized, personable, extroverted, flexible, and results focused person. They are excited about Surly, excited about events and responsible to take the necessary steps to ensure a great guest experience. The banquet captain wears many hats, quick thinker, making sure all necessary materials are available for the event, the space is in great condition, and that event staff is informed and working efficiently. They will tackle any task, offer help where they see opportunity and collaborate with team members within other departments
- Coordinates Day-Of elements of Surly Event Center, including all of Scheid Hall Areas, Beer Garden Tent Area, or other areas as needed
- Works/partners with Event Manager within successfully executing/managing the day-of events from start to finish. Including social, weddings, corporate, conferences, fundraisers and galas.
- Maintains outstanding standards, solid knowledge of current menus, available guest services, Surly beers, and all other components of customer service.
- Leads by example and sets pace. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Creates an engaging, team-oriented work environment.
- Supervise/manage the Surly Event servers and making sure they comply to Surly standards
- Maintain the Scheid Hall space. This includes keeping the space clean, organizing and keeping the storage room and expo room in order, as well as reporting all maintenance needs
- Maintain the equipment used for events. This includes tables, risers, chafers, etc. Do small maintenance as needed when possible and report larger maintenance needs to facility manager on duty.
- Order necessary items needed for the event space.
- Complete a monthly inventory of all events items including glassware, NA Bevs and small ware
- Communicate with Cellar Master and VP of Hospitality about beer issues or timelines
- Head the training of new server employees on the events team standards and structures
- Updating the event materials as needed
- Day of correspondence: getting in touch with Event Manager and Kitchen about the details for the current event. This includes timing and quantity as well as confirming contact information. Remain in contact with kitchen throughout event addressing and changes that may arise.
- Pre-Shift event staff on event details and delegating roles for setup and event execution. Assist in set up of food displays, décor, A/V and successfully execute food for the event
- Manage staff needs as necessary
- Serve as point of contact for event hosts throughout the event. Assist in load in, adjusting set up and assisting with A/V. Making sure they are feeling comfortable and calm regarding their event
- Handle billing at the end of the events. Making sure all payment needs are met. Handle cash and money drop
- Complete a detail write up of the day’s event and email to the events team
- Adhere to the Manger Code of Conduct at all times
- Attend weekly BEO meetings
- Pass TIPS training
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of executing and managing of: event center, food, beverage, and serving staff
- Recognizes that this role provides the highest level of service and has an “above and beyond” approach
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Possess a strong sense of customer service
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
- Capable of handling multiple tasks
- Possess the ability to creatively solve problems
- Be assertive and do not hesitate to ask questions
- Able to see the big picture and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Able to be on your feet for long periods of time
- Cash handling ability
- 1+ years of event venue/managing in service industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365.
- Knowledge of Toast is a plus
- Strong Communication Skills
- High energy, extroverted, conversational
- Quick thinking
- Flexibility with work hours as the work demands it. Start/end time can range from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m. in any given week
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals and teams
- Adaptability – every day is a different day!
- Maintain the event space so it is prepared to host top-notch events
- Manage staff/food/beverage/décor/audio visual during execution of events
- Reinforce the standard set forth in the Surly Code of Conduct for employees