Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing have come together to form one of the top 15 largest breweries in the United States, building on the strong legacies of our celebrated heritages. We brew badass beers on both coasts at our breweries in Escondido, CA and Richmond, VA, and create amazing experiences at our Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens and Taproom locations. We’ve enjoyed a rich history following our passion and are in search of people who are equally passionate about pursuing their craft to join the team.
The Safety Manager oversees the execution of Sapporo-Stone Brewing’s safety programs for our California-based operations, playing a critical role in promoting a safety-first culture, driving continuous improvement across our operations, and ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations. The Safety Manager will lead and implement Safety, Health and Environment practices and standards across our brewery, packaging, warehouse, hospitality, sales, and office environments within our California locations.
- Partner closely with the Safety team and key leaders to ensure regulatory compliance while developing industry-leading safety programs, policies, and initiatives
- Oversee and ensure execution of audit program to identify potential safety and environmental hazards, taking proactive steps with site leadership teams to mitigate hazards
- Continuously review and refine incident prevention programs as well as perform root cause investigation following incidents to identify their causes and develop preventive solutions that involve team members
- Develop and maintain safety training content and curriculum including new hire onboarding, equipment or process-specific training, general safety practices and beyond, tracking participation and (re)certifications to ensure compliance
- Partner closely with operational stakeholders to ensure safe operation of all relevant equipment and processes, assessing gaps in procedures, tools, and compliance, recommending enhancements and monitoring for improvement through data
- Maximize the use of existing safety tools and systems and close gaps where existing processes are insufficient or non-existent
- Ensure all team members have access to established processes and tools required to facilitate a safe working environment
- Partner with the People Team, team leaders and our external partners to assist with our return-to-work programs for work-related injuries and illnesses
- Establish, maintain, and communicate key performance metrics and action plans to drive continuous improvement and communicate results throughout organization
- Serve as primary liaison with regulatory and other governmental authorities regarding environmental issues, regulatory/safety issues, crisis management, security management
- Maintain systems data, analytics, and information used to create performance metrics and action plans to ensure that Sapporo-Stone Brewing's Safety and Environmental Health certifications, accreditations, and compliance efforts are developed and continuously improved
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Annual Salary Range: $100,000 - $115,000
- Bonus Plan: 5% of Annual Salary
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, 401K, and Bonuses for Eligible Team Members
- Company beer perks program and discounts
- Paid Time Off – including Vacation accrual, Sick Leave, and 12 paid Holidays
- Benefit programs supporting Financial Wellness, Health & Wellness and Career Development
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene, or equivalent preferred
- Experience: 5-8 years of related experience within the Environmental Health and Safety field is required, including experience developing, implementing, and managing company-wide health and safety programs, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in relevant fields, such as chemical manufacturing, food manufacturing, petroleum production, refinery operations, heavy industry, warehousing, and distribution may be considered
- Extensive knowledge of federal health and safety laws required
- Extensive knowledge of Cal/OSHA and local health and safety laws highly preferred
- Must have a strong background in project management, data/information/analytics, and ability to effectively engage at all levels of the organization
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certified Safety Professional (CSP) / Associate Safety Professional (ASP) preferred
- Language Skills: Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and written
- Travel Requirements: ~50% of time is spent regularly visiting, auditing, and supporting offsite Southern CA locations and teams including Hospitality and Distribution locations to ensure adherence to safe working practices, ensure compliance, and bolster safety culture
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and climb ladders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Sapporo-Stone Brewing is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, various ability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Sapporo-Stone Brewing seeks to build a culturally diverse staff where differences are valued and respected. Women, minorities, individuals with various abilities, veterans, LGBTQ+ and intersectional individuals are encouraged to apply.
The official leaders in the beer revolution