Cider Maker | Mills River, NC
Cider Maker | Mills River, NC
We’re hiring! Looking for a fun, rewarding place to work? Become a part of our truly unique team!
WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE OFFER
Artisanal Brewing Ventures (ABV) is a top 10 regional craft alcohol company in the US, made up of 5 long standing, successful craft brands (75+ combined years!): Victory Brewing, Bold Rock Cider, Sixpoint Brewery, Southern Tier Brewing & Southern Tier Distilling. We have locations in 5 states (NY, PA, OH, VA, NC) including taprooms, production facilities, & our corporate headquarters.
- Competitive Compensation
- Exceptional Health Benefits
- No Waiting Period to Enroll
- Immediate 401K Match & Vesting
- Paid Family Leave
- Flexible Schedules & Generous Paid Time Off
- Ample Product Discounts
- Opportunities for Growth Across 5 Successful Brands
WHAT WE DO
Bold Rock is boldly committed to building a crew of quality professionals who support all aspects of getting our freshly crafted cider into the hands of good people. Our dedicated team of cider makers crush and craft locally picked apples to create our variety of crisp and refreshing hard cider styles.
We find people with positive personalities, fun-loving spirits, and hard-working cores to bring their experience along as they join our enthusiasm to produce the best cider there is. We have bold teams in North Carolina (Asheville & Mills River) and Virginia (Nellysford & Charlottesville).
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Cider Maker is an integral, first line management position, proficient in all departmental operations within the cidery. The position supervises and coordinates brew/cellar staff, working towards production schedule execution by competently monitoring production operations to produce outstanding craft product in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOPs). The Cider Maker will coach and mentor cellar hands.
Reports to: Head Cider Maker
- Exhibit and maintain proficiency in cider making tasks required of a brewer/cider maker in a 40,000+ bbl/year brewery or 25,000+ bbl/year cidery including fermentation, blending, and various filtration methods.
- Act as a first responder to cellar hand questions, issues and concerns.
- Provide pertinent follow up information to inter-brewery/cidery shift leads, cidery managers, maintenance team, quality assurance team and scheduling.
- Adhere to SOPs to elevate process control and minimize variability from operator to operator. Provide edits and improvements to SOPs, as needed.
- Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of environment and equipment in accordance with QA/QC standards, implementing improvements where appropriate.
- Champion safety protocols in all activities, participating in improvements to safety standards where appropriate.
- Fill shifts as necessitated by vacations, staffing levels, necessary overtime.
- Ensure all equipment is operating safely, at maximum efficiency and maintained to the highest standards by supporting the maintenance department schedule. Submit work orders as necessary for equipment.
- Exhibit a strong sense of urgency to problem solving through practicing and perfecting root cause analysis.
- Conduct periodic one on one meetings with Cellar Hands to establish and develop individual development plans.
- Provide feedback on performance reviews for Assistant Brewers and Production Brewers, in concert with the Brewing Manager/Cellar Hands and Packaging & Sanitation Leads, in concert with the Head Cider Maker.
- Participate in the interview process for new associates, as well as manage departmental on-boarding and training.
- Support initiatives to ensure minimal waste during manufacturing.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 3 years of brewing/cidermaking experience in a production brewery/cidery producing at least 25,000 barrels per year (preferred)
- In depth experience with automated and manual brewing and cellaring systems.
- Demonstrated ability to follow preventative maintenance plans in a production environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Display both a sense of urgency and an upbeat attitude.
- High School Diploma, GED, or college degree required in the applicable fields of Brewing Science, Food Science, Chemistry and Biology considered a plus.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel & Power Point.
- Strong attention to details is required.
Candidate should be able to lift at least 50lbs. from ground level and should also be able to move 165lbs. of kegged beer from one location to another. Candidate should be physically capable of standing for long periods of time and able to kneel, stoop, crouch or crawl.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer
WE HAVE A PASSION FOR GREAT BEER