*Applications submitted without a cover letter may not be considered for employment*
The Laboratory Technician position will be an entry level position responsible for daily lab duties required to ensure the quality of Saint Arnold beer. This will include the sampling, monitoring, and documenting of the quality and microbiological purity of all things related to the brewing and fermentation processes, conducting analyses on packaged and in-process beer, and the ability to present all results and data in a timely manner. This position will maintain a Monday-Friday afternoon work schedule that will occasionally require weekend and/or holiday work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
- Maintain a Monday-Friday 12pm – 8pm work schedule that will periodically require evening and/or weekend work
- Scheduled hours may occasionally shift 1-2 hours, due to production/laboratory needs
- Conduct aseptic and environmental sampling throughout the brewery
- Use of UV/VIS Spectrophotometer for measurements of analytical data including, beer bitterness, color, and VDK.
- Conduct daily sensory panel tasting distribution and Friday trainings
- Assist with daily sensory process checks
- Data entry including brew, fermentation, cellar, QA/QC, and Sensory Panel
- Collaborate with Production Staff on QA/QC projects in progress
- Close adherence to all SOPs and safety procedures, as provided.
- Keeping glassware, equipment, and laboratory clean and orderly.
- Upholding and advancing our quality safety standards.
- Being a promotional spokesman for Saint Arnold. This is a part of everybody’s job description.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences (e.g., chemistry, biology, biochemistry, food science, microbiology, etc.) or equivalent experience in laboratory setting.
- Familiar with general laboratory instruments and techniques (e.g. pH meter, spectrophotometer, microscope, serial dilutions, pipetting, aseptic technique, centrifuge, etc.)
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Sheets
- Ability to keep an organized and accurate laboratory notebook
- Excellent skills in communicating with a variety of audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to work safely in a wet, noisy, and non-temperature controlled environment.
- Ability to work safely in confined spaces and around complex machinery.
- Ability to stoop, squat, kneel, and crawl for purposes of collecting samples, gathering data, and cleaning
- Be passionate about quality craft beer, cider, and science
- Maintain a positive working environment
- Have a fine attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work independently on multiple projects at one time
- Be willing to learn and be part of a dynamic team
- Be prepared to take on exciting challenges
Texas' Oldest Craft Brewery