Our client, NEFF Brewing, a growing craft brewery with a thriving taproom business, is hiring for a Head Brewer based on-site at their brewery in Tulsa, Oklahoma. NEFF Brewing is in its fifth year of operation and the beer is currently distributed state-wide in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, and Michigan. The brewery specializes in producing naturally gluten-free beers using new types of artisan malts such as millet, buckwheat, rice, and quinoa to produce a multitude of delicious styles.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience working on the production floor of a craft brewery. You will be a brewer who is passionate about making consistent, large batch brews as well as excited to use your creativity in recipe design for one-off taproom releases, and eager to learn the process to produce naturally gluten-free products. This position will report directly to the Master brewer.
• Brew flagship, seasonal, and special release brands on production system and experimental recipes on pilot system (10 BBL and 1 BBL, respectively)
• Manage fermentation profiles and yeast propagation
• Manage and assist in execution of cellaring responsibilities including CIP/SIP, yeast handling, dry hopping/adjuncting etc., and general cellar cleaning duties
• Manage production calendar based on sales projections from sales & distribution team
• Manage and direct the packaging processes, including kegging, canning, and volume planning
• Inventory management and production planning in EKOS software
• Author unique recipe designs and assist in recipe development
• Assist with the maintenance of draft line equipment
• Participate in the mechanical upkeep of brewing equipment and general maintenance of all equipment for the brewing process, i.e. brewhouse pumps, pneumatic valves, boiler, canning line etc.
• Execute good manufacturing processes (cGMP)
• Execute procedures for safe handling of chemicals
• Take responsibility for general upkeep and cleanliness of the brewery including maintaining a clean and attractive front facing look of all brewery equipment & infrastructure
• Assist Master brewer and other management team members in the training and management of new production staff including but not limited to: staff brewers, assistant brewers, canning line operators, cellar-persons, and other production related staff as assigned.
• Review production SOPs and equipment operating manuals on a regular basis, make recommendations for updates and changes to SOPs, and assist Master brewer in incorporating updates and changes to production related SOPs and equipment operations
• Assist in scheduling of production work for staff brewers, canning line operators, and cellar-persons
• Manage and maintain a sensory analysis program, assisting the Master brewer in maintaining True-to-Target (TTT) profiles for all flagship, seasonal, and other brands as required and conducting regular to semi-regular sensory analysis panels, maintain records of information gained for further analysis
• Assist management team in the education of the front of house staff regarding all products produced on site
• Schedule and run maintenance as needed on all production equipment with the assistance of the production team including all brewers and cellar-persons
• Maintain up to date digital records regarding production operations
• 2 or more years of experience working on the production floor of a brewery as a brewer
• Passion for craft beer and the brewing process
• Proficiency in programs such as Microsoft Office, BeerSmith and Google Drive applications
• Basic math, critical thinking and science skillset
• Degree in fermentation sciences or similar, i.e., chemistry, microbiology, etc.
• Formal brewing education in the form of a certificate or brewing program
• 1 or more years’ experience as a head brewer at a brewery producing 500bbls or more per year
• While hours are traditionally Monday- Friday and regular 8-hour days, candidate must be willing to adjust hours based on brewery need. Early morning start times (6am – 7am) and/or evening end times (7pm – 8pm) required.
• Ability to routinely lift 50+ lbs safely
The Leading Brewery and Beverage Industry Consulting Firm