Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing have come together to form one of the top 15 largest breweries in the United States, building on the strong legacies of our celebrated heritages. We brew badass beers on both coasts at our breweries in Escondido, CA and Richmond, VA, and create amazing experiences at our Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens and Taproom locations. We’ve enjoyed a rich history following our passion and are in search of people who are equally passionate about pursuing their craft to join the team.
The QA Lead is accountable for assisting the Quality Assurance Supervisor or Manager in coordinating and communicating required quality activities to QA staff. They are responsible for escalating behavioral or technical issues as needed. This position will also carry out QA analytical support of brewing and packaging processes.
This is an opening on our 3rd shift which operates on a 4x10s schedule. The role will train on 1st and 2nd shift through November, and then transition to 3rd shift from December onward.
3rd Shift Hours: Monday - Thursday, 10:00pm - 8:30am ET.*
*Please note that due to our company's ongoing growth this year, current shift structures and schedules are subject to change.
- Lead shift changeover meetings to ensure daily lab and production needs are communicated effectively.
- Lead and log safety tailgates. Escalate safety concerns to management and assist with finding solutions.
- Monitor lab supply inventory and submit order requests to the supervisor or manager in a timely manner.
- Oversee the lab equipment calibration and maintenance schedule and ensure completion of tasks. Escalate issues with equipment or competition of tasks.
- Lead projects aimed at completing, maintaining, and organizing QA records.
- Collect samples for analysis including samples for physchem, sensory, and micro
- Perform standardized physchem testing on in-process and finished beer including but not limited to: ABV, IBU, color, turbidity, pH, forced fermentations, water analysis, vicinal diketone, and acetaldehyde analysis
- Perform standardized physical testing on packaged beer including but not limited to: total packaged oxygen, carbonation, fill levels, seam checks, and crimp checks
- Assist with sensory assessment by performing True to Target, Descriptive, and Hedonic taste panels using DraughtLab, pulling samples for the sensory library, and shipping samples to other locations as needed
- Empowered to hold and release beer based on established QA specifications
- Ensure lab equipment is running properly by testing control beer and troubleshooting equipment as needed
- Perform advanced preventative maintenance and calibrations on equipment such as the Anton Paar, Hach 6110, pH meters, balances, gas chromatograph, high-performance liquid chromatograph, thermocyclers, etc.
- Have a deep understanding of the meaning of analytical data
- Accurately and effectively analyze and report data including updating databases in a timely manner, trending data, and presenting to management on a regular basis
- Work cross functionally to help determine root cause and drive improvement actions when quality events occur
- Lead 5-why root cause analysis in response to KPI triggers
- Assist in the training of brewery personnel on analytical equipment
- Cross train to cover microbiological methods and yeast propagation procedures.
- Prepare stock solutions, media, and other reagents needed for lab operation
- Maintain a professional and clean lab by storing and organizing lab supplies appropriately, keeping up with washing labware, wiping down the counter tops on a daily basis, etc.
- Assist in tracking lab supply inventory and putting in orders as needed
- Work safely within the brewery and lab at all times.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in STEM or related field.
- Experience: At least 4 years of related experience working in a laboratory. Must have experience utilizing and developing analytical testing methods. Must have experience showing an understanding of the theory behind how the equipment and tests work/measure analytes. Must have experience analyzing data and presenting results to all levels. Brewery or food/beverage manufacturing experience a plus.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Brewing science, Quality Management Systems, Supervisory, or ASQ certifications a plus.
- Language Skills: Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and written.
- Travel Requirements: occasional travel required to other Stone locations
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Pay Range: $29.00/hr. - $31.00/hr.
- Additional Pay: 2nd shift and 3rd shift are eligible for shift bonus pay
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, 401K, and Bonuses for Eligible Team Members
- Company beer perks program and discounts
- Paid Time Off - including Vacation accrual, Sick Leave, and 12 paid Holidays
- Benefit programs supporting Financial Wellness, Health & Wellness and Career Development
Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, various ability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Sapporo USA and Stone Brewing seeks to build a culturally diverse staff where differences are valued and respected. Women, minorities, individuals with various abilities, veterans, LGBTQ+ and intersectional individuals are encouraged to apply.
The official leaders in the beer revolution