Cellar Person - Full Time
This is a mid-level position for those interested in a career in the brewing industry and working in a fast-paced, production focused brewery. This cellar person position requires a high attention to detail and quick ability to learn cellaring practices from senior cellar people. This is a full-time, hourly position that has potential to grow into other opportunities within the brewery. The position works out of our Dayton Street production facility and will report to the Director of Brewery Operations with direction from our Cellar Manager, and Head Brewer, as well as receive input from the cellar team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform cleaning, sanitation, and CO2 purging on fermentation vessels and brite tanks.
- Complete dry hopping, fruiting, and other dosing on beer throughout various stages of the cellaring.
- Transfer, fine, and centrifuge product.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of all brewery equipment & parts, including cellar floors, drains, and tank exteriors.
- Follow all SOPs and guidelines for cleaning, maintaining, and storing brewery cooperage.
- Assist with packaging operations: keg filling, canning, bottling, and packaging equipment cleaning procedures.
- Assist with accurately harvesting yeast and performing pitch calculations.
- Communicates regularly, efficiently, and effectively with all supervisors and team members.
- Take guidance from Lead and Senior Cellar members on job duties for the day and other related duties as assigned.
- Learn SOPs for higher level cellar operations from senior cellar staff members.
- Identifies and communicates problems with equipment, malfunctions, or breakdown in process.
- Completes all necessary and assigned paperwork accurately and on time.
- Arrives to each shift on time with a positive attitude.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 21+ years of age
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- 1-2 years of brewery experience preferred
- Forklift certified or ability to undergo certification training
- Team player that also works well independently
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- High attention to detail with a focus on quality
- Strong problem solving skills
- Professional, courteous, and embodies the hospitality that we stand for as a company
- Adaptable with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment with a growing company
- Passion for beer, enthusiastic about the process, and a desire to learn
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Able to stand, walk, and be on your feet for prolonged periods
- Repetitive motion of the wrists, hands, and fingers
- Able to maneuver on uneven ground
- Able to read and follow written English instructions
- Able to regularly twist, turn, kneel, climb, stoop, bend, and crawl on occasion
- Able to lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 50+ pounds on occasion and 25 pounds regularly using appropriate techniques and tools
- Able to maneuver packages of any weight above 75 pounds with appropriate equipment and/or assistance
- Able to safely navigate crowded spaces
- Able to work in indoor and outdoor production environments which may be loud, slick, humid, cold, and hot with moderate noise and occasionally slippery floors
- Computer literate
- Able to comply with and enforce all health, safety, and personal hygiene policies and standards.
PERKS / BENEFITS
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K with employer match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Complimentary beer with in-house and take home privileges.
- Employee discounts on food and beverage at our Monterey, Carmel, and Salinas locations.
ABOUT ALVARADO STREET BREWERY
Alvarado Street Brewery was founded by father-son duo John and J.C. Hill in March of 2014. What started as a neighborhood brewery restaurant in Downtown Monterey has evolved into four locations dedicated to serving Monterey county’s locals and visitors alike. Our production brewery & tasting room opened in the Spreckels Junction area of Salinas in 2016. In early 2018 we opened our R&D pilot brewery and bistro in Carmel-by-the-Sea, known as the “Stro”. Most recently in November of 2022, we opened Alvarado on Main, an art deco styled restaurant and bar in the center of Oldtown Salinas.
We are committed first and foremost to the community we serve. Beer is a common thread that brings people together of all backgrounds and walks of life, and we welcome everyone through our doors. As an employer, we strive to ensure an equitable working environment that’s centered on inclusion and diversity. As a community partner, we engage with local nonprofits and environmentally focused organizations to be a great steward of the beautiful area we call home.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Research indicates that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet each skill, experience, and qualification listed in a job description. At Alvarado Street Brewery, we desire to seek out the best candidate for the job even when that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications described, but you believe the position matches with your passions and talents.
Alvarado Street Brewery & Bistro provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, creed, gender, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, citizenship, pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions, military or veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, gender transitioning/transitioned, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.