The Fonta Flora Overview
Located on the banks of beautiful Lake James and under the backdrop of the rugged Linville Gorge, we are an Appalachian farmhouse brewery situated on 15 acres of a historic dairy farm. Fonta Flora Brewery integrates the soul of agriculture with the artisanship of zymurgy to create a menagerie of rustic and savory libations. With an emphasis on seasonal flora, Fonta Flora brings English tradition and Belgian inspiration to the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina by utilizing local artists to help conceptualize the notion that fermentation is yet another medium for creating art. This uniquely artisan approach to beer yields a sustainable product filled with culture from our very own community.
We are currently seeking a full-time Brewer to support our brewing team in our Nebo, NC production facility.
The Brewer is responsible for assisting in the many tasks required to create Fonta Flora beer and will report to the Production Manager. Candidates must share Fonta Flora’s commitments to quality, safety, business ethics, continuous innovation, local agriculture, and our own unique culture.
The successful candidate for this role will be comfortable with repetitive tasks, physical labor, and standing/moving for extended periods of time. The candidate must be flexible and adaptable to different or alternating tasks during any given shift.
The primary focus of this job is brewhouse operations and wort production. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the majority of hands-on brewing, including all facets of hot side production. This position will include yeast handling and cellar work, adhering to the production schedule and recipes created by Head of Brewing Operations.
ERRDAY Job Tasks
- Following daily and weekly scheduled brewhouse duties presented by Production Manager and Head of Brewing Operations
- Main team member responsible for hands-on hot side wort production. This includes miling, mashing, lautering, boiling, ingredient additions, graining out, knocking out, and all quality and sensory checks necessary throughout the process
- Following strict SOPs and recipes for all Fonta Flora beers communicated from Head of Brewing Operations.
- Thorough understanding of all mechanics of brewing, assisting Production Manager with preventative and active maintenance on equipment
- Very open, trustworthy and close communication with Head of Brewing Operations and Production Manager on all aspects of data collection and quality outliers to troubleshoot and problem solve as a team.
- Operating forklift to assist with shipping and receiving of ingredients
- Assist cellaring team and Production Manager to monitor and execute all cellaring duties, including beer transfers, gravity checks, temperature changes, dryhops, etc
- Adhere to tight tank schedule by completing beer transfers and monitoring quality throughout process, including DO and carbonation checks
- Extremely close attention to detail on daily beer checks; monitoring and recording sensory information along with gravity, pH and temperature checks, making quick decisions on the fly if necessary
- Main person responsible for clean (stout and barleywine) barrel work, including racking, filling and quality monitoring
- Follow strict SOP’s to CIP all aspects of production; heat exchangers, brewhouse, fermenters, brite tanks and hoses.
- Primary person responsible for yeast handling including harvests, pitching, yeast drops, fining and cell counts
- Responsible for cleanliness and organization of brewhouse and fermenter areas
- Strict attention to detail of all data collection on paper and digital logs throughout processes
- Assist with communication of inventory to Production Manager on a daily basis of all raw ingredients involved in brewing process, while maintaining impeccable organization of said areas
- Maintain an orderly and safe work environment within department as well as entire facility,
- Participate in regular departmental meetings to review issues and propose solutions,
- Be a team player with ability to interact with all levels within the organization,
- Safely handling cleaning chemicals, and using the prescribed amount for each task,
- Understand and comply with all federal, state, and local laws,
- Proudly represent the Fonta Flora brand both on and off site,
- Other tasks as assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application
- Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check
- 3 years in a brewery production setting, at least 2 of which have been focused in the brewhouse
- Extreme passion for production work and the desire to learn
- Solid understanding of the brewing process and science surrounding wort production and fermentation
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
- Strong attention to detail and self-accountability when following schedule
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps
- Able to read and follow written English instructions
- Able to regularly lift/carry 44 pound boxes
- Able to regularly lift/carry 55 pound bags above waist level
- Able to periodically lift/move 165 pounds
- Able to work in a factory/production environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot
- Able to work in indoor and outdoor environment with moderate noise, sometimes slippery floors
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles
- Able to work four 10-hour shifts per week (8am-6pm Tuesday-Friday, with the potential for slightly staggered shifts).
- Fun and social work environment
- Competitive compensation
- Health benefits reimbursement
- Simple IRA with company matching
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Employee discount programs
- If you think this job was meant for you and you would love to be a part of our growing yet intimate team, please send your resume and cover letter with a subject of BREWER to email@example.com.
Fonta Flora Brewery does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we recognize our responsibility to embrace and promote diversity, equity and inclusion (“DEI”) throughout all aspects of our company culture
The Soul of Agriculture with the Artisanship of Zymurgy