Brewer I - Devils Backbone Brewing Company
PAY RATE: $19.34 per hour + quarterly bonus potential
WORK LOCATION: Outpost Brewery - Lexington, VA
SHIFT: The brewery operates on a 24/7 brewing schedule and require rotating shifts. Shifts rotate on a quarterly basis and include morning, evening, overnight, and weekend shifts.
COMPANY: Here at Devils Backbone Brewing Company, we’re a family of beer brewers, cocktail creators, chefs, servers, packagers, shippers, and lots of other job functions. We currently operate 2 locations: Basecamp Brewpub & Meadows in Roseland, VA & The Outpost Tap Room & Kitchen in Lexington, VA. Devils Backbone is a wonderful place to develop your talents & build your career, as well as have fun with a hard-working family.
ROLE SUMMARY: The Brewer operates our 120-barrel automated brewing systems. Aspects of this system include milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, and wort cooling. In addition, the Brewer is responsible for pre- and post-cleaning and sanitation of all transfer lines and vessels. This position is also responsible for cellar tasks including, but not limited to, yeast pitching, filtration, beer transfers, tank CIPs, various fermentation additions, and maintenance of parts and hoses. The Brewer works (4) 10-hour shifts/week, and work includes 24/7 hours. The Brewer is expected to be punctual, self-motivated, and contribute within a teamwork environment. Growth and development plan is provided, rewarding proficiency.
- Follow all safety procedures.
- Work closely with brewing team to achieve desired quality and production targets;
- Complete assigned tasks in accordance with company standard operating procedures and guidelines (SOP/SOG).
- Keep accurate inventory and quality management of raw materials and chemicals.
- Periodic handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Keep accurate daily production records per company and Federal Requirements.
- Continually maintain all beer production areas including equipment – (mill room, brewhouse, fermentation, filtration, spent grain area, bulk grain and grain storage area, as well as all walkways and driveways around or leading to brewhouse and cellar).
- Assist maintenance technicians with equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Follow daily and weekly cleaning schedules to maintain a clean working environment.
- Attend production meetings and contribute to product improvement.
- Operate and monitor electronic and computerized brew systems.
- May represent Devils Backbone Brewing Company at beer festivals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Minimum of two years of brewing experience as assistant brewer or brewer preferred.
- Brewing education, certification, or undergraduate education preferred.
- General knowledge of practices, methods, tools, and equipment used in production and pub-style brewing.
- General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with a production environment.
- Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be 21-years of age.
- Involves frequent walking, lifting, and carrying objects weighing 50lbs routinely, occasional lifting of 100-150lbs.
- May require standing for long periods of time (4+ consecutive hours).
- Must be able to work with fitted face respirator (provided) for periods not to exceed 30-minutes.
- Frequent use of latches, hand tools, clamps, hoses, etc., requiring manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Exposes employee to potentially minor injuries.
- Must be able to operate forklift (training provided), and a pallet jack.
- Regular contact with production employees and management, as well as potential customer interaction.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible paid time off
- Medical, dental & vision insurance available immediately
- Employer paid short term disability
- 401K up to 6% match
- Generous parental leave options
- Uniforms & PPE provided, based on position
- Safety shoes allowance, based on position
- Learning & development opportunities
- Employee discounts at restaurant locations
- Employee discounts on merchandise